Thursday, April 19, 2007; 3:14 AM
Beneath the floodlights


My deepest condolences to the families and victims of the Virginia Tech Massacre. It's horrible, but humanity is not all ugly.

I went riding today after Uni, because Alex is finally back at the barn after breaking her leg due to being kicked by a horse. It was great to have her as my instructor again - and oh wow - I've completely forgotten how hard she works me, so it was so great to actually be working like mad hell until both me and Midnight were covered in sweat just from that one short riding session.
It was pitch-black and we rode in the arena with the floodlights on and it was my first time ever riding at night. I must say I enjoyed it, and jumping is so fun when you see your shadow stretching up far ahead of you even before Midnight has leapt off the ground. It was a great ride and I missed feeling like this, like I was actually connected, and that this was right.
Later, I was lucky enough to score a lift back to the train station thanks to Christine, otherwise I would be standing valiantly in the dark, desperately trying to flag down any passing bus.

Midnight is beautiful, and I'll say it again and again. It would be almost impossible to spot him in the dark - he is as black as midnight. If not for his rug, he was completely invisible to my naked eye when I turned him out after the ride. He melted into the night right before my very eyes. I love black horses.

Labels: , , ,