Monday, February 11, 2008; 10:52 PM
fields of gold
A couple of weeks ago I was down at the barn before my riding lesson, and the farrier was there, trimming the horses' feet. It was a late, lazy afternoon as I stood leaning against the wooden post, watching the farrier clip away at the edges of a hoof, listening to the contented hrruumphs and happy munching of relaxed ponies. The farrier's truck was parked alongside the stalls, a steaming thermos flask of hot coffee releasing a thin swirl of smoke, the radio set on the Golden Oldies as the sun slowly sailed lower towards the earth, spreading a flare of colour and light all across the lush paddocks and colouring everything golden.

Gumboots pushed her muzzle into the crook of my neck and gently blew into my ear as I idly scratched her ears. The song on the radio sounded oddly familiar, and I turned my concentration to the husky, mellow voice on the radio as I recognized the lyrics.

Without thinking, I turned to the old farrier and said, "This is my favourite song."

He looked up from under the hoof of a horse and said something about how wonderful it is that a young girl still recognizes classic songs. I barely heard what he said as I listened to the song, because I just realized, just then, in a complete spur of the moment as Gumboots nibbled my hair, that it is my favourite song.




You'll remember me when the west wind moves
Among the fields of barley
You'll forget the sun in his jealous sky
As we walk in the fields of gold

So she took her love for to gaze awhile
Upon the fields of barley
In his arms she fell as her hair came down
Among the fields of gold

Will you stay with me, will you be my love?
Upon the fields of barley
We'll forget the sun in his jealous sky
As we walk in the fields of gold

See the west wind move like a lover's soul
Upon the fields of barley
Feel her body rise when you kiss her mouth
Among the fields of gold

I never made promises lightly
And there have been some that I've broken
But I swear in the days still left
We will walk in fields of gold
We'll walk in fields of gold

Many years have passed since those summer days
Among the fields of barley
See the children run as the sun goes down
As you lie in fields of gold

You'll remember me when the west wind moves
Upon the fields of barley
You can tell the sun in his jealous sky
When we walked in fields of gold
You can tell the sun in his jealous sky
We walked in fields of gold

Labels: ,